Traveling with a carry on luggage is always challenging since there are many rules to respect, different sizes and weights allowed for each airline. How many carry-on bags are allowed? What are the maximum size and weight allowed?
With my previous guide I tried to answer the question: can you bring a drone on a plane? While now, with this guide, I’ve put together the most important rules that need to be followed if you want to bring your hand luggage on a plane.
In general, airlines refer to your cabin baggage as hand luggage, hand baggage and carry on luggage – but we’re always talking about that piece of luggage that is allowed inside the cabin and that you can place either under the seat in front of you or in the overhead bin.
I always recommend choosing a carry on luggage that could also fit under the seat in front of you. Why?
Because you want to be sure that, in case there’s no more space available in the overhead bin, you’re still able to store it right under the seat in front of you. This assures you that, even with a full flight, the cabin crew won’t take away your carry-on luggage to put it in the hold.
If you have any tips or find any errors feel free to leave a comment below, I’ll also try to keep this guide up to date but, as always, make sure to verify directly with the airline and the local airport regulations before departure.
I’ve organized the carry on luggage rules and sizes by airlines in alphabetic order so you can easily find each and use it as a reference – you can also use the quick menu below to jump to the specific airline section.
- TSA Carry On Rules
- AirAsia Hand Luggage
- Air France Carry On
- Air India Hand Baggage
- Alitalia Carry On
- American Airlines Carry On
- British Airways Hand Luggage
- Brussels Airlines Hand Luggage
- Delta Carry On
- Easyjet Hand Luggage
- Emirates Hand Luggage
- Finnair Carry On
- Iberia Hand Luggage
- Jetblue Carry On
- KLM Hand Luggage
- Lufthansa Carry On
- Malaysia Airlines Hand Luggage
- Qantas Carry On
- Qatar Airways Hand Luggage
- Ryanair Hand Luggage
- Singapore Airlines Carry On
- Southwest Airlines Carry On
- Swiss Air Hand Luggage
- Thai Airways Carry On
- Turkish Airlines Carry On
- United Airlines Carry On
TSA Carry On Rules
The Transportation Security Administration has very clear and detailed rules on what you can bring on a plane.
Their main interest is regarding the content of your carry on luggage rather than the size. TSA actually doesn’t even have a size limit for your hand luggage, but it has a 3-1-1 liquids rule that goes as follows:
- 3.4 ounces (100ml) containers (or smaller)
- 1 quart-size, clear plastic bag1 bag per traveler
- 1 bag per traveler
There’s also a complete list of permitted and prohibited items. In general, food is allowed and if in a liquid state (even semi-liquid such as peanut butter) it needs to follow the 3-1-1 TSA liquids rule.
AirAsia Hand Luggage
AirAsia allows one cabin bag that can’t exceed the following size 56cm x 36cm x 23cm including handles, wheels and side pockets. It needs to fit in the overhead bin.
In addition, you can also bring one small bag as carry-on of the maximum size of 40cm x 30cm x 10cm which needs to fit under the seat in front of you.
Air France Carry On
Air France has a variable policy which states that you’re allowed 1 or 2 hand baggage items, depending on the route, as well as a smaller accessory bag.
The size of the carry-on must not exceed 55 x 35 x 25 cm, as always, including pockets, wheels and handles. They also have a weight limit which, depending on your travel cabin, must not exceed 12 kg / 26 lb or 18 kg / 39.7 lb.
In addition, Air France has also created a useful baggage calculator that shows how much carry on you can bring on the plane based on the route.
Air India Hand Baggage
The dimensions of the hand baggage for Air India are based on the type of airplane and are the following:
- Airbus or Boeing – Height 55cm x Length 35cm x Width 25cm with a Total Dimension of 115cm
- ATR – Height 55cm x Length 35cm x Width 20cm with a Total Dimension of 110cm
The maximum weight allowed for the hand baggage is 8 kg.
In addition, passengers may bring one personal item such as a laptop, a lady’s hand bag, an overcoat, a rug/blanket, a camera and other small items as mentioned on their website.
Alitalia Carry On
Alitalia allows one hand luggage of the following size: 56 x 35 x 25 with a max weight of 8 kg. In addition, you can also bring a personal item such as a laptop or a briefcase which needs to be placed under the seat in front of you and that will be labeled by the groundcrew.
American Airlines Carry On
American Airlines allows one personal item of small size and one bag as carry-on baggage.
The personal item must fit under the seat in front of you and the size must be maximum: 18 x 14 x 8 inches (45 x 30 x 20 cm).
From January 2017 the basic economy fare allows passengers to bring only the personal item which needs to fit under the seat in front of you and no additional bag.
The carry on size for American Airlines can’t exceed 22 x 14 x 9 inches (56 x 36 x 23 cm). There’s no reference to the carry on weight limit which shouldn’t be an issue.
British Airways Hand Luggage
British Airways has a different hand luggage policy based on your flight’s route.
If flying from/to Brazil adults are allowed to bring:
- 1 handbag/laptop bag of maximum 23kg / 51lb of weight and up to 45 x 36 x 20 cm or 18 x 14 x 8 inches of size
- 1 cabin bag of maximum 23kg / 51lb of weight and up to 56 x 45 x 25 cm or 22 x 18 x 10 inches of size
For all other flights, adults can bring:
- 1 handbag/laptop bag of maximum 23kg / 51lb of weight and up to 40 x 30 x 15 cm or 16 x 12 x 6 inches of size
- 1 cabin bag of maximum 23kg / 51lb of weight and up to 56 x 45 x 25 cm or 22 x 18 x 10 inches of size
Brussels Airlines Hand Luggage
Brussels Airlines allows two pieces of hand luggage with a total combined weight of 12 kg.
The size of the first piece of hand luggage has to be maximum 55 x 40 x 23 cm, while the second piece (which is more precisely a personal item such as a handbag, a laptop case, etc.) has to fit under the seat in front of you with a size of maximum 40 x 30 x 10 cm.
Delta Carry On
Delta’s carry on rules allow two pieces on board: one carry on bag and one personal item.
Here are the dimensions:
- The combined length, width and height cannot exceed 45 inches (114 cm)
- The dimensions can’t exceed 22 x 14 x 9 inches (56 x 35 x 23 cm)
The personal item can be a purse, camera bag, laptop or similar.
While the weight depends on the route and goes as following:
- Singapore Changi International Airport 15 lbs (7kg)
- South Korea Incheon International Airport 22 lbs (10kg)
- China Beijing Capital International Airport 22 lbs (10kg)
- China Shanghai Pudong International Airport 22 lbs (10kg)
- No weight restrictions for all the other routes
Easyjet Hand Luggage
Easyjet’s hand luggage allowance consists of one cabin bag per passenger with no weight limit.
There’s the possibility to bring an additional bag on board (that needs to be placed under the seat in front of you) if you’re an Easyjet Plus member, you purchased a Flexi fare, Up Front or Extra Legroom seat or when traveling with an infant under 2 on your lap.
Easyjet’s hand luggage size is as following: 56 x 45 x 25 cm, while for the additional bag it can’t exceed 45 x 36 x 20 cm.
Emirates Hand Luggage
Emirates has a hand luggage rule that changes based on the service class on which you’re flying.
- First Class and Business Class passengers are allowed two pieces of hand luggage: one briefcase and one handbag. The max size for the briefcase is 18 x 14 x 8 inches (45 x 25 x 20 cm), while the max size for the handbag is 22 x 15 x 8 inches (55 x 38 x 20 cm). The maximum weight can’t exceed 7kg (15lb) for each item.
- Economy Class passengers are allowed one piece of hand luggage with a max size of 22 x 15 x 8 inches (55 x 38 x 20 cm) and a max weight of 7kg (15lb)
Also, don’t forget to check out my Emirates A380 First Class Review with my full experience flying in the most luxurious cabin and lounges of the Emirates network!
Finnair Carry On
Finnair allows you to bring one piece of carry-on baggage of maximum 56 x 45 x 25 (22 x 18 x 10 in) and one personal item that needs to be placed under the seat in front of you and measure max 40 x 30 x 15 cm (16 x 12 x 6 in). The combined weight cannot exceed 8kg (17.5 lbs).
If you’re flying in business class or are a Finnair Plus Platinum, Gold and Silver member you can bring two pieces of carry-on plus the personal item for a maximum combined weight of 10kg.
Iberia Hand Luggage
Iberia allows, in general, to bring one carry on and one personal item as hand luggage.
The maximum size of the carry on is 56 x 45 x 25 cm, while the personal item needs to fit under the seat in front of you. Additionally, business class passengers on long haul flights can bring 2 pieces of hand luggage onboard plus the personal item.
Jetblue Carry On
JetBlue carry-on baggage requirements are clear and mention that each passenger can bring one carry-on bag and one personal item.
The carry-on bag which needs to be stored in the overhead bin can have a max size of 22” L x 14” W x 9” H and has no limits in terms of weight.
The personal item needs to fit under the seat in front of you, can have a max dimension of 17” L x 13” W x 8” H – also, in this case, there’s no weight limit.
KLM Hand Luggage
KLM has a general rule for free hand luggage based on your class.
- Economy Class can bring one piece of hand luggage of max 55 x 35 x 25 cm, plus one accessory of 40 x 30 x 15 cm. The total weight can’t exceed 12kg
- Business Class can bring two pieces of hand luggage of max 55 x 35 x 25 cm, plus one accessory of 40 x 30 x 15 cm. The total weight can’t exceed 18kg
KLM also has a baggage calculator to help you identify the exact personal luggage allowance based on your route and flight.
Lufthansa Carry On
Lufthansa’s carry on allowance depends on your travel class.Economy and Premium Economy can bring one piece of
- Economy and Premium Economy can bring one piece of carry on baggage up to 8 kg
- Business and First can bring two pieces of carry on baggage each up to 8 kg
The size of the carry on is 55 x 40 x 23 cm.
You’re also allowed to bring an additional item in the cabin such as a laptop bag, handbag, etc. with a max size of 30 x 40 x 10 cm.
Malaysia Airlines Hand Luggage
Malaysia Airlines has a hand baggage allowance that depends on your travel class.
- Economy Class can bring one piece of hand luggage of max 7kg
- Business Class and First Class can bring two pieces of hand luggage of max 14kg in total
The size of each piece can’t exceed 56 x 36 x 23 cm. In addition, you can bring a personal item for free, such as a laptop bag, a briefcase, a small camera bag, etc. (max 4kg)
Qantas Carry On
Qantas has different rules for carry on based on your destination and route.
If traveling Australian Domestic you can bring
- 2 bags 105cm or
- 1 bag 105cm and 1 bag 185cm non-rigid or
- 1 bag 115cm
If traveling Internationally it changes based on your travel class
- Premium Economy, Business and First
- 2 bags 115cm or
- 1 bag 115cm and 1 bag 185cm non-rigid or
- 1 bag 115cm or
- 1 bag 185cm non-rigid
The carry on max weight is of 7kg per piece for all routes and classes.
The measures indicated are the combined length, height and depth for each piece.
In addition to the carry-on with Qantas you can bring one small personal item such as a handbag, a laptop computer, an overcoat, etc.
Qatar Airways Hand Luggage
Qatar Airways hand luggage allowance changes based on your travel class.
- First Class and Business Class passengers can bring two pieces of hand luggage with a total weight of 15kg
- Economy Class passengers are allowed one piece of hand luggage of max 7 kg – If your ticket has been issued in Brazil you are allowed a max weight of 10 kg.
The maximum dimensions for each piece of hand luggage are 50 x 37 x 25 cm. In addition, you can bring a personal item such as a lady’s handbag, a small briefcase, etc.
Ryanair Hand Luggage
Ryanair allows you to bring one bag of maximum 55cm x 40cm x 20cm and 10 kg of weight.
In addition, you can also bring on board one small bag such as a laptop bag, a handbag, etc of that can’t exceed 35cm x 20cm x 20cm which needs to fit under the seat in front of you.
Singapore Airlines Carry On
Singapore Airlines carry on allowance depends on your travel class.
When flying Suites, First Class and Business Class you can bring 2 pieces of hand luggage on board, with a weight limit of 7kg each and with a sum of length, width and height not exceeding 115cm.
While in Economy Class you can bring 1 piece of hand luggage still with the weight limit of 7kg and the size not exceeding 115cm combined.
Southwest Airlines Carry On
Southwest Airlines carry on rules are as following:
- One carry on bag limited to 10 x 16 x 24 inches
- One personal item (including a purse, a briefcase, a laptop case, etc.) that needs to fit under the seat in front of you and with a size of 18.5 x 8.5 x 13.5 inches
Swiss Air Hand Luggage
Swiss Air has hand luggage rules that change based on your travel class.
If flying Economy you can bring one baggage of max 8 kg, while if flying Business or First you can bring two pieces of baggage of max 8 kg each.
The size for each baggage can’t exceed 55cm x 40cm x 23cm.
In addition, you’re allowed to bring on board a personal item such as a laptop bag, shoulder bag, etc. of max 40 x 30 x 10 cm.
Thai Airways Carry On
Thai Airways allows one carry on of maximum 56 x 45 x 25 cm with a weight of 7kg.
Passengers can also bring an additional item for free such as a handbag or laptop of maximum 37.5 x 25 x 12.5 cm and a weight not exceeding 1.5kg.
Turkish Airlines Carry On
Turkish Airlines allows up to two pieces of carry on luggage depending on your travel class.
If flying Business Class you can bring two pieces of carry on baggage, while if traveling Economy Class only one piece is allowed. In both cases the maximum weight per piece of carry on is 8kg and the maximum size is 55 x 40 x 23 cm.
United Airlines Carry On
United Airlines allows travelers to bring on board one piece of carry on plus one smaller personal item free of charge.
However, if you have purchased a Basic Economy ticket you can only bring one personal item.
The carry on bag can have the following max dimensions 9 inches x 14 inches x 22 inches (22 x 35 x 56 cm), while the personal item has to fit under the seat in front of you and have a max size of 9 x 10 x 17 inches ( 22 x 25 x 43 cm).